In 2021, Uralchem allocated RUB 929 million for financing of environmental projects.
Uralchem regularly improves production processes at its branches; upgrades and reconstructs treatment facilities; implements environmental investment projects; liaises with educational institutions to improve environmental awareness among school and university students; and provides vocational training for its employees in hazardous waste management.
Under the auspices of Uralchem, various events are held annually in the regions where the Company operates including:
• The Green Spring national clean-up event;
• The Forest Preservation national event;
• The Oxygen Release environmental flash mob;
• The Clean Games environmental quest;
• A national environmental awareness test;
• The Doctorov's Chestnuts environmental event;
• The Good Sprout tree planting campaign;
• The Your Tree for the City environmental event;
• Planting of trees in Mindovsky Garden
• The Our Forest regional event.
In 2021, one of the Company's key projects to reduce the environmental impact of its operations was the abandonment of an underground industrial wastewater disposal site in Kirovo-Chepetsk, Russia. Effluents, which used to be pumped into the reservoir, are now recycled in the production process.
Uralchem's comprehensive environmental approach helped the Company procure ISO 14001:2015 environmental management certification and successfully complete a Protect & Sustain audit by the International Fertilizer Industry Association.
The Company's production facilities traditionally focus on reducing consumption of natural resources, monitoring air quality along the borders of the plants’ sanitary protection zones, and implementing environmental awareness activities.